Destination Warwickshire! – Historic Henley-in-Arden has so much to offerJanuary 25, 2024
Warwickshire’s Hidden Gem revealed!
Why holiday in Henley-in-Arden? The beautiful market town of Henley-in-Arden is fast gaining a reputation as the perfect location for a weekend break and is also ideal for longer stays too, thanks to its proximity to many of Shakespeare Country’s favourite attractions.
Here are just 10 reasons (and there are many more!) why Henley-in-Arden should come high on your ‘places to visit’ travel agenda:
- Henley’s beautiful one mile long High Street is considered by historians to be one of the most architecturally significant roads in England, thanks to its wonderful array of well-preserved historic buildings dating back to medieval times.
- An absolute must-visit for any serious foodie, Henley offers Michelin starred cuisine in the form of Cheal’s and The Mount (owned by Michelin starred chef Glynn Purnell) and an array of lovely restaurants including Chinese, Italian, Indian, Pizza, Steak and Fish & Chips, not to mention five great pubs – four of which serve contemporary fayre.
- The town is a starting point for many lovely walks to suit all abilities: from a leisurely stroll down the High Street following the town’s Heritage Trail map , to a more energetic climb up to The Mount, the town’s scheduled ancient monument and the original site of Beaudesert Castle.
- Henley-in-Arden has excellent public transport facilities. Hop on a train from the town centre and be in Stratford-upon-Avon in 20 minutes and Birmingham City Centre in less than 30 minutes. Buses also run regularly from the High Street.
- The town offers some amazing accommodation options; from the stunning George & Dragon and Little George apartments in the High Street’s iconic Grade II listed George House, to rural pet-friendly retreats like Arden Way Cottage and Meadow View – all available through Exclusively Warwickshire.
- Henley’s charming High Street offers a fascinating selection of independent shops, boutiques and small businesses – the perfect place to while away a few hours and grab a few mementos of your visit.
- We’re not exaggerating when we say that there are literally hundreds of attractions within a very short distance of Henley-in-Arden – the National Trust properties of Baddesley Clinton and Packwood House, St Peter’s Anglo Saxon Church in Wootton Wawen, Warwick and Kenilworth Castles are just a few (Check out our Places To Visit in Warwickshire pages for more inspiration )
- Situated on Henley’s historic High Street, the town’s free to enter Henley Museum & Heritage Centre is well worth a visit. This fascinating treasure trove of antiquities includes a model of the old Market Cross and Beaudesert Castle and a replica Victorian School Room.
- Henley’s location as ‘The Gateway to Shakespeare’s Stratford-upon-Avon’ puts it in a great position for accessing Stratford-upon-Avon’s many visitor attractions and is also the perfect base for discovering nearby areas like the Cotswolds.
- And finally ..no trip to Henley is complete without a trip to its famous Henley Ice Cream parlour. Check out the delicious selection of flavours on offer and you’ll soon realise why a there’s usually a queue to sample its scrumptious fayre!