Why Holiday in Warwickshire? The enchanting county in the heart of England.July 19, 2023
Wonderful Henley-in-Arden is known at the ‘Gateway to Shakespeare’s Stratford-upon-Avon’ and
offers the perfect base for a short break or getaway. Here are just 10 reasons why its popularity
as a tourism destination is growing…
- Thanks to a wonderful array of well-preserved historic buildings (some dating back to medieval times) Henley’s beautiful one mile long High Street is considered by many historians to be one of the most architecturally significant roads in England.
- An absolute must-visit for any serious foodie, Henley-in-Arden offers a fabulous array of dining options including gorgeous gastro pubs The Black Swan, The Mount (owned by Michelin starred chef Glynn Purnell), The Bluebell and an array of lovely restaurants including Chinese, Italian, Indian, Pizza & Steak, not to mention a selection of great pubs too.
- The town is a starting point for many lovely walks to suit all abilities: from a leisurely stroll down the High Street following the town’s Heritage Trail map , to a more energetic climb up to The Mount, the town’s scheduled ancient monument and the original site of Beaudesert Castle.
- Well worth a visit, the town’s historic railway station has undergone a fantastic transformation thanks to the hard work of the Friends of Henley Railway, a team of local volunteers whose hard work is restoring it back to its former glory.
- The town offers some amazing accommodation options including the stunning George & Dragon and Little George luxury apartments in the High Street’s iconic Grade II listed George House (bookings available through Exclusively Warwickshire).
- Henley’s charming High Street offers a fascinating selection of independent shops, boutiques and small businesses including Henley Vintage – the perfect place to while away a few hours and grab a few mementos of your visit.
- It’s no exaggeration to say that there are literally hundreds of attractions within a very short distance of Henley-in-Arden. The National Trust properties of Baddesley Clinton and Packwood House, St Peter’s Anglo Saxon Church in Wootton Wawen, Warwick and Kenilworth Castles are just a few (Check out our Places To Visit in Warwickshire pages for more inspiration )
- Situated on Henley’s historic High Street, the town’s free to enter Henley Museum & Heritage Centre is well worth a visit. This fascinating treasure trove of antiquities includes a model of the old Market Cross and Beaudesert Castle and a replica Victorian School Room.
- Henley’s location as ‘The Gateway to Shakespeare’s Stratford-upon-Avon’ puts it in a great position for accessing Stratford-upon-Avon’s many visitor attractions and is also the perfect base for discovering nearby areas like the Cotswolds.
- And finally ..no trip to Henley is complete without a trip to its famous Henley Ice Cream parlour. Check out the delicious selection of flavours on offer and you’ll soon realise why a there’s usually a queue to sample its scrumptious fayre!